Saturday, April 21, 2007

I wanna soak up the sun

It was a great sunny day today. After a quick straightening up of the house, which only really touched the surface of all that needed to be done, we were outside for the rest of the day. I now have a nice clean car with shiny wheels and tires, a lovely row of daffodils planted in my front yard and sore muscles from an afternoon of tennis with my son. I left my grades and report cards till tonight, for after the sun had gone down. Couldn't see wasting the day sitting inside. I hope that this weather continues but around here you never can tell.

In some of my errand running today, I stumbled on something that made me wonder "Are all of these stores like this?" I had to run out to the Auto Zone that is nearby our house and upon pulling into the parking lot and watching the many people who were walking into and out of the store, I decided that it was not somewhere that I wanted to go into by myself or even with my son. There were vagrants walking by, talking to me or to themselves (I'm not sure) and no they didn't have a bluetooth in their ear. There were scary men doing work on their car and staring at me sitting in mine. So I decided to drive a little bit away and go to another auto parts store. As we pull up, I am amazed that while it is in a different location, it appeared to be the same ghetto store as the one I just left. But not wanting to waste our whole day looking for a safe store, I decide that we are going to go into this one, no matter what. First off we were greeted by a guy replacing his windshield wipers who decided that staring at us was more fun. Creepy. Apparently he was just looking at what kind of wipers he needed, because he proceeded to follow us into the store and then appear near us randomly and just stare. I would like to say that this is a rare occurence but everytime I go into an auto parts store this is what I find. I was just wondering if it was because I was a women by myself and this confounds people that I would be in this type of store without being in tow of some gearhead guy or if maybe there is some unwritten rule that women cannot come in unaccompanied and I have been unknowingly breaking this rule all these years and they're mad. Also, I wondered if auto parts stores around the country were all as ghetto-y and scary as they are around here, maybe its just a regional thing.

6 comments:

Ruby's My Spy Name said...

No one told you Zion is a scarry hood? Well, welcome to the town we both live in!
Ha Ha.... I'm thinking of some other scarry locals now (some we actually know). Mmmmm... makes me think of tasty chocolate. Once, my mom had this idea to make a photo book of "Zionites" for her own personal laughs. Maybe to prove that hillbillys AND gansters reside in the same town. But mostly I think because people are so darn interesting and fascinating to her. I'd make a book, but she's nicer than me. I think I should try not to fuel my cruel side, don't you?
I love you and I hope you had a great weekend. See you tomorrow.
Love, AB

ScottAng (So.Cal.) said...

Anytime I'm in a store and creepy guys are eyeballing me--I'm outta there *pshoom!* Gone! I don't stick around. -Scott. ;)

I think your woman-alone-in-autoparts-store theory is pretty accurate. It's a spectacle (...like guys need ANY additional reason to gawk). But I think it's regional, since I've been in auto parts stores in primitive Alaska and in quasi-hicktown SoCal, and I haven't seen the googly-eyed vagrants or "deliverance" brothers hanging out by the antifreeze. Must be regional... I recommend branch further out to a yuppier/preppier neighborhood. By the way, thanks for the tip..."Hot babes 'n Wiper blades" will make a great album name. -s.

ray of hope said...

I'm pretty sure there's no Auto Zone in LF, maybe its beside the preppy McD's. I'll have to check that out. Glad I could help you out with an album name, you're silly. : )

ScottAng (So.Cal.) said...

Hello?! What a perfect opportunity for you to get some numbers! You had them following you around and you didn't capitalize on it...oh well, maybe next time when you need some new wiper blades or something. ;) -ang

ray of hope said...

Their inmate #'s that were tatooed on their forearms?! That's disturbing, but thanks for thinking of me. : )

Ruby's My Spy Name said...

Oh darling... I've posted something just for you! Yep. I'm a sneaky one, are't I? Its my only way to be "nasty" and get away with it!