Snowflake 101
In response to a couple requests on how to make the snowflakes from my previous post, I made another snowflake today and took some photos to help ya out Ang.
1. You will need 6 square pieces of paper (if its 8 1/2 x 11 do the little thing where you cut off the extra part). It seems like the colors could be varied and played with to make them more fun but I only had white available. All of these directions will need to be done to each piece. Fold each square diagonally into a triangle. Then fold it over into a smaller triangle.
2. Begin cutting lines starting at the folded edge, going parallel to long side of the triangle (the unfolded edge). You can cut straight or curvy lines and you can vary the number of lines that you cut.
3. After you're done cutting the lines, open up the square, it should look something like the first picture. Then take the corners of the inside shape, bend them back and use a glue stick to attach the corners (see second picture). Moving out from the center take the next strips and bend them the opposite way of first one and attach the edges in the same way using a glue stick. Continue folding the strips, alternating the direction with each new set until all have been glued. Repeat until you have six designs that look similar to the third picture.


4. After all six pieces have been glued, staple them in a hanging row. (Hey Ang, like my tattoos?)

5. Wrap the shapes around until the two ends meet, secure with a staple. Arrange the inside points (sometimes they swirl on their own and sometimes they take some adjusting) and staple to secure them. 

Oh, on top of my maniac snowflake making, I FINALLY registered for classes in a master's program that I was accepted to a year ago. My classes start next Monday! Nothing like waiting till the last minute. Seriously, I made my decision when I opened up my email and saw an email titled "Registration deadline is today, January 4th". Better late than never. Happy snowflake making!

6 comments:
These snowflakes are really cool. You can see how great they are in the post with the classroom picture. BUT - I don't know that I can make one. Maybe I'll e-mail Cari the directions.
love the tats! you can now move to socal!
Just stopping to say HI!! Those snowflakes are really cool--I am impressed! I may even attempt to make some for my classroom. My room is sadly decoration-less. :)
Hey college buddy. Tell me how it's going. I love you!
Hey...loved the instructions on the snowflake...Galen & I work with the 2 and 3 year old Children's Church and this was a great idea for our classroom only on a smaller scale...all the kids (big and little) are enjoying them...thanks!
Awesome! I've copied your directions for next year! =)
Post a Comment