Thursday, October 19, 2006

What are you lookin at?!

One day of conferences down, one to go. The ones that I had today were good, nothing surprising. I got my hair cut and colored last night (those stubborn grays...thanks mom!) Then I had a dentist appt. first thing this morning, so I wasn't at school right away. I had let my students know that I wouldn't be there right away and had told them why. When I got to school there was the usual post haircut/color fallout. All the kids just stared and then the questions and comments began. Amid the cries of "You look like a different teacher!", was the following dialogue:

Student: Why did you color your hair black?
Me: It's dark brown. Its a little darker when you first get it colored but then it lightens up a little.
Student: When? Tomorrow?

Student: Why are you wearing lots of mascara?
Me: I'm not, it just looks different with my hair (I think "mascara" was a general term for all of the eye makeup, pretty sure I didn't just cake on the mascara today)

Student: I thought you went to the dentist, not the hairdresser
Me (stunned stare): I went to the dentist this morning and got my hair done last night.

Alright, Ang, I was going to just write "awful" over and over again in the space that a picture would take up but then decided to wait till Awana was over and someone would be at home to take a picture of me. Turns out that I'm worse at taking one of just me than I was at taking a pic of two people. Who knew! Given the above student comments you would think that I had gotten this drastic haircut, not so much. The pic doesn't really show the difference in color and I just got my shorter bangs back. Not too much, but enough to throw their day off. Gotta love first graders.

4 comments:

ScottAng (So.Cal.) said...

Oh my goodness, is that you? I almost didn't recognize you!

ScottAng (So.Cal.) said...

You look so great and yes, it really doesn't look that much different than before :)

Farm Girl in MD said...

The haircut looks good. I'm glad I got mine chopped off before my students met me :) Made it easier. It really is funny what kids will fixate on. If only they'd pay that much attention when we're teaching them...

Ruby's My Spy Name said...

You got your hair done? I hadn't even noticed. (J/K of COURSE!) You KNOW how much I love it!
And thank you, by the way, for talking me into the red shoes. It was hard wasn't it? Yea right! I love you!
Love, AB