Pumpkin Head
Had a good day today, although it started out earlier than a usual day off but thats ok, it was for a good cause. My friend had a chance to go and spend some time with her mom over the weekend, so my son and I went to stay with her kids so her husband could leave for work this morning. The kids were great, of course. Played outside, rode bikes, happily ran errands with me. It was another beautiful fall day. We are going to get spoiled. It will make the inevitable winter all the more dreary. We came home and got to work on carving our pumpkin. Decided that I would leave the portrait less to chance this time and looked for templates online. My son picked out the one that he liked and I went to work. He is always very enthusiastic about the idea of carving the pumpkin but the first step (cleaning out the pumpkin) is not as rewarding or clean as he would like and he quickly loses interest. So I used the template and was very happy with the results, given that I have no pumpkin carving skill whatsoever I was glad to have something to use as a guide. We were going to go play tennis tonight but the early morning that I started this post with caught up with my son and he had a rough evening, which required an earlier than usual bedtime. I now get to go turn orange-slimed seeds into a roasted salty treat. Yum!



13 comments:
cool pumpkin...we will go get one this week and try to do better than you, I mean, have some fun and carve a pumpkin ourselves!
The 'punkin' looks great! How do you roast the seeds? I've never done that before.
Farm girl:Actually I toast the pumpkin seeds, sorry for the misprint...I was tired. You've toasted them before right?
Rude people:) I'm sure "your" pumpkin will be better than mine.(Lets be honest, it will be Scott's to carve, yours to enjoy) and there's no way I could compete with that. But I'm pleased with what I did with my limited skills.
nope. never eaten pumpkin seeds at all. weird huh?
and you call yourself "farm girl?"
farm girl: Here's the recipe. Rinse pumpkin seeds, removing all pulp and drain. Spread out on paper towels on a cookie sheet to dry overnight. Line a baking sheet with non-stick foil. Toss pumpkin seeds in olive oil, butter, or spray with cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt or your choice of seasonings. Toss to coat. Bake about 1 hour, tossing every 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown. Cool pumpkin seeds before eating. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 months or refrigerate up to 1 year.
Bake them at 250. Guess you might need to know that : )
I love roasted pumpkin seeds. We haven't carved the pumpkins yet, but it's coming soon. They sit on the front porch, uncut, right now.
I AM a farm girl, just not a pumpkin farm girl. We never celebrated fall that much since corn just ended and we're so busy harvesting. :) so there. I know about a trillion ways to cook corn! That is my expertise. :)
Cute Pumpkins! We haven't bought ours yet this year, but Jenny's been bugging me to go and buy them...probably this weekend! Unfortunately, the only pumpkin patch around is on the ground of the local methodist church...guess pumpkins are not something that people grow in Florida. :o(
This is Vicky (btw) -- Chip's mom who (he was very grateful) DOESN'T post on his blog ;o)
Hey Rachel...btw...do you mind if I link to your blog? Chip showed me how to make all the settings private....
It's still too warm down here to carve pumpkins yet...we can't carve them until about 1 week before Halloween at the earliest or they will start to shrivel by Halloween.
Um, yeah, we already said your pumpkin was great. Do you want an award or something? (throat clearing noise) -- oh wait, it's just last week's blog still here at the top. Sorry, I won't bug you so you can get on with your next blog (whenever that might be!) ;)
Post a Comment