They're all getting A's
Thought I would share my little ego boost for the week. It was the first day of school and I had just read a book called "What I Like" to my class and we were taking turns telling something that we liked. We finally got to me and I said a couple of things, including 'bike riding'. Well, for whatever reason, they were shocked that I not only had a bike but enjoyed riding it. They seemed to be surprised that an adult would like doing that because it sparked the question..."How old are you?" I usually get this question every year but I don't think I have ever gotten it on the first day of school. I then asked mischieviously, "How old do you think I am?" Of course, I set myself up for two extremes, I would either get a great ego boost with an unrealistically low answer or come crashing back to reality with a terribly high guess. Here is the conversation that followed my inquiry:
Student 1: I think you're 19
Me: No I'm not 19
Student 2: 21!
Me: Nope
Student 3: 16
(I love 1st graders!)
Me: No I'm not 16
Student 4: 26
Student 5: 31
(I am friends with this girl's mom, so I think she may have heard my age before.)
Me: Yes, I am 31
Students: You don't look 31!
(Again, I set myself up with the following question.)
Me: How old do I look?
Student 1: 19
Student 4: 26
While I clearly know that I do not look 19, I will be satisfied with the 26 ; )

9 comments:
hahaha...I need to come to your 1st grade class :-)
No more apples for A's just butter her up on the first day, the rest is down hill.
The summer Cali tan and working out seems to have been the fountain of youth!! :)
Actually, I think the low guesses are more due to a 6-year old's inability to catch clues to my age than the fact that I look astoundingly young, but I'll take what I can get.
Vanessa, please clean your room like I asked you.
You didn't tell us you were teaching a class full of blind kids.
You're my best friend and I only THINK I know how old you are. How stupid. I remember the party at NSBC when your sister was there. But was that last year? I don't think so. Because wasn't she pregnant? I'm all mixed up. Today I told the doctor I was 28. Oops. She corrected me. I'm now 29. How stupid can I feel?
I love you! I'm sure I'll talk to you soon. Thanks for all your prayers. Love, AB
There's a phantom loose posting in my name...:-)
I have not done any phantom commenting using your name. Now that you can definitely blame on banned-from-posting-when-tired Scott ; )
Post a Comment